Safety Guidelines for Buying and Selling in Classifieds
• When you find an item you'd like to buy, ask to meet in-person to see the item and exchange money. For personal ease and safety, always ensure you take someone with you and meet in a public place with lots of people around. If you don't want to carry cash with you, consider using Mobile Money such as M-Pesa, or do a bank transfer from your mobile phone during the meeting. If you are selling, verify that money has been transferred before handing over the item.
• Never send or hand over the item before receiving the money. Never send money before receiving the item. Keep in mind that wiring money is like sending cash: it's nearly impossible to reverse the transaction or trace the money. Never provide your personal or banking information (e.g. card number) to others over the Internet. Keep your password and other account details confidential.
• When buying airline or event tickets we suggest you take the seller's name and ticket number, check the ticket exists and take responsibility yourself for changing the names. When buying tickets for events please be aware that some tickets may have terms printed on them that limit the ability of the original buyer to sell them to someone else. The tickets or event may also be cancelled.
• If you do not feel comfortable sharing personal information, then rather use the message service on our website. Avoid giving out your physical address or meeting at your home. Inform a friend or family member of your plans and when and where you're going. If you own a mobile phone, make sure you have it with you. Drive yourself to and from the first meeting. Just in case things don't work out, you need to be in control of your own ride - even if you take a taxi.
• Do not allow someone to take an item and "pay it off" over a period of time. Do not allow someone to take the item out of your presence for any reason, even for a moment. Do not allow someone to test drive a vehicle by themselves. Take someone with you for added security, and insist that only the buyer and one accomplice enter the vehicle for a test drive. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
• If you see an advert that you suspect is spam, illegal, abusive or contains false information, please click the Report button on the adverts page. Reporting ads brings the ad to our attention so that we will review and take it down quickly if appropriate.
• Beware of scammers who agree to meet you somewhere and then call to tell you that they have been stopped by police and ask that you pay their fine (with the promise that they will pay you back when they meet you). This is a common scam in Mozambique. Remember that the buyer should be paying the seller - not the other way around - for any reason.
• Mozambique.co.mz may add an escrow account in the future. Buyers will pay into this account, the item will be handed over and then once everything is fine and both parties are happy the money will be handed over to the seller. This feature is still in consideration and may be implemented if a need arises for it.
• Terms and Conditions for listing items in the Classifieds Section.
• Safety Guidelines for Buying and Selling Items in the Classifieds Section.
• Description of Product Conditions